Included on this page:
Apply to be a volunteer Dean
About Being a Volunteer Dean
Our volunteer Deans are the backbone of our summer program. Together with Silver Lake staff, they create and plan a themed summer program, recruit counselors, utilize curriculum, put together schedules, shepherd young people, develop leaders, and so much more!
Deans volunteer for a week in the summer but work all year long on their program.
The screening process for Deans is thorough and competitive. Deans must provide references, pass a background check, and complete online and in person training.
Dean Responsibilities Include: in collaboration with Silver Lake staff
- Design 1-week summer camp program curriculum and schedule.
- Plan program activities that relate to your theme and the age of your campers.
- Provide activities and discussion that will help you to achieve the goals set for the program and exemplify the theme you have chosen.
- Facilitate the campers' participation in the program.
- Be a role model for young people through your actions, your words, and your behavior. In particular, modeling the behavior expected of campers and following camp's rules and regulations.
- Lead campers in your program to provide all camp worship one night during the week and participate in all other all camp worships.
- Provide either morning watch or evening vespers daily which relates to your program theme.
- Recruit, train, and work with a team of counselors and the chaplain for your week to supervise, educate, and inspire young people.
- Have experience and knowledge in relating to young people of the age specified for the program.
- Have a willingness to engage in appropriate conversations about faith with the campers.
- Have the ability to nurture and share progressive Christian values and ethics, using stories, games, songs, crafts, and other creative activities.
- Have concern for safety and well-being of young people.
- At least 21 years old
- Available for the entire duration of the 1-week program - 3:00 pm the Saturday before your program begins through 11:00 am the following Saturday.
- Deans volunteer for a week in the summer but work all year long on their program.
- Dean recruitment begins in September for the following summer.
- Committed Deans are strongly encouraged to attend the Deans Retreat training weekend in March.
- 3:00 pm the Saturday before your program begins through 11:00 am the following Saturday.
- All Deans must complete a background check, online Safe Camp training, and in-person training.
- All volunteers must have a complete Health Record to be at camp.
- Any volunteer sleeping in a bunk room must turn over all medications, even over-the-counter drugs, to the nurse upon arrival.
Apply to be a Volunteer Dean
- Fill out the Deans Application - even if you have been a Dean before.
- Once your application is submitted, Silver Lake staff will contact you to schedule and determine details of your program.
- Once you are a confirmed Dean, you will be sent instructions for a background check and online Safe Camp training.
The forms are hosted by UltraCamp, our online registration system. You will need to log in or create an UltraCamp account to complete the forms. There is no cost to create an account or to fill out the Dean Application. If you have any problems or questions, please contact email@example.com.
Deans Application - To indicate interest in being a Dean. If you have filled this out before, please update your information and save.
Summer Camp Volunteer Form - For those who are confirmed summer volunteers. If you have filled this out before, please update your information and save.
- Health History
- Doctor Signature Page (valid for two years from the exam date)
- Medication Authorization Form (required for everybody bringing medications, valid for one year from the date of the signature)